6.22.2005

repression redux

of course, the poet themself is probably the least likely to note their own repressions. we see it far more clearly in the work of other writers, of writers unlike ourselves (writ large - often a kind of "KEEP OUT") and of those more like-minded (we may even be concerned for them ).

and by repression i am implying something subtle - a poetry lacking any form of repression would be a perfectly enlightened use of language -and while that is out there, for both readers and writers - i think its a lil bit rare. i should add that each reading of a line or poem offers up a new relation to it, so the same reader can have 8 different responses to a text, and even a repressed text can be witnessed as repressive, and if the reader notes that, then why not say "this reading is free of repression". and the multiple subject is quite diff., and to me saner than the often silly notions of the unconscious the surrealists developed, silly, that is, if i am reading their notions of it correctly. but no, i am not surprised at how much sex (and how little labor - wheezly french cafe-hopping artists - try to join the comunist party, eh? sing the internationale - no, no no...) oozed into their exquisite corpses. all i mea to say is "automatic" writing, far from being divorced from culture, simply partakes of it even more whole-hoggedly (or at least w/ a marked difference, but no drop in intensity) , as, perhaps, sara implies in her comment.

but this is probably some kind of la-la land i have drifted into. even the terms are a little strange to me. if you like it, okay. i'm trusting you, please don't fuck up.

and, in case it was unclear, i did indeed mean to expose a strong, if partially unconscious, line of thinking i take on my own work and process vis a vis "out of the blue" work - and to critique its assumptions. i dont think one can write without a subject, or without an ego, for that matter. but they can open onto other subjects, other egos, and then we partake of multiplicity. which can be blinding / overwhelming / exquisite / enjoyable (depending) to read.i would say a partaking in multiplicity is at the heart of the age-old sense of the sublime. it has its own demands, but its liberation is compelling - thinking of work i've done and of having a chance later today to read philwhalen's "Diamond Noodle", a "novel" from 1980.

if i hadn't forgot to bring some lunch money i would even write out the first page, but i did folks, i 'm hungry, wicked hungry, so please pity me in your hardworking and poetic hearts. and speed deliver me a sandwich, if you can.

(and for all those prying eyes, he had a fall, but he's okay, he's healing. my coworker is still quite concerned about him, but he's a serious older chap and we still don't talk. i could be more outgoing here, it would broaden my circle of people to loan a fiver off of).

2 Comments:

Blogger jwg said...

Got a question about “repression”. Not sure exactly what it means, but it feels charged. I wonder if we could you another word to get at what you mean. There are so many levels of repression. I repress my desire to kill or do heroin. Not sure these are bad things to repress. I repress my sexual desire. This is bad. Best get laid soon. Guess what I am saying is that Repression need not be bad, but when I hear the word, I think of slaves, women in Iran, people in Darfur.

But I do agree with you that automatic writing does not move us away from this repression. It allows it in that it has the inbuilt excuse. It is automatic. But I wonder if we are asking something of writing here that I don’t think is so important. It seems you want it to be about self reflection, revelation, learning. we are to improve ourselves through our writing. I just think we write ourselves through our writing. our language will change as we change. our blind spots are there in our work. I don’t think that this is bad. if we have that blind spot. let it show (there is no other way. If we are homophobic or racist or a bit scared of the dark. And we go through our work and cut out any sniff of that “ugliness” then the work goes limp.). this is not to say that I am endorsing these beliefs. All that I am saying is that if they are there in yr mind, and they come out on the page, even in little hints, they should not be run away from. If repression is a concern in yr life, fix it in yr life, leave yr work alone.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

Preach on brother Jim! Preach on! I testify!

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

another small chapter in los dialecticas pobre