8.31.2005

if you walk here, the seagulls may attack you






I've been looking out plane windows since I was 5. This time I made it 1/2 way across Nevada before getting lost (what comes after Table Mountain again?).

On the way back, I passed a nuclear reactor twin-funnel power plant in Illinois. Woke up over Pueblo, and followed us through over Crestone to Sevier Lake. Came back in time for Great Basin National Park, the Lunar Craters of central Nevada, Tonopah (more interesting from the sky, really), and, eventually, the White Mountains, the Sierras, Yosemite, straight over Half Dome (impressive even from 30000 feet or so), and the Diablos. Long evening shadows on the oak foothills.

On the way out, 5 days earlier, long morning shadows, facing the other way. Such a sensuous planet to hoist offices, cubicles, prisons and report cards upon.

The birds will attack - or threaten to - if you go to the spots pictured above during nesting season. You've ben warned - a couple hundred angry seagulls a few feet from your head - maybe something you'd rather avoid.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never thought I'd use the word "gorgeous" and mean it, but... there I've said it. These pictures look oddly good. really good. Unlike the millions of "look at how beautiful the earth looks from a plane" photos that I and others have passed off as good. There's something about the earth from above that is so easily impressive and yet so easily unimpressive in photographs. Maybe I AM a luddite after all.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

Gorgeous is the right word. It is nice on the ground too. Before I left Boulder, Sean and I made a journey to Medicine Bow. It was as we stopped so Sean could get a better view of the wind propellers, that this immense bald eagle flew right over our heads. It was fighting againt this immense wind. I had never seen one that close. It was amazing. It was gorgroues.

Luckily, he didn't attack. I don't think he would have. We were friends with the bird. We had just been to Medicine Bow's only restaurant. We ordered eggs. They were of the chicken variety.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

Thanks. The earth from space (even from 35,000 ft) is a tough subject. These are the choice ones out of 100 or so.

Pirooz - last - and only - time I saw a bald eagle was south of Longmont on one of those CO country roads. Flew right over the car with me, Melissa, and Mara in it. We drove - literally - right off the road, and hopped out on the shoulder to watch it. We were headig to meet with Bhanu and it was headed directly towards her too, not bothering with roads.
We told Bhanu about it. She'd seen a bald eagle too. Don't remember which way hers was flying.

All this and still a headache at work today.

5:24 PM  
Blogger Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

Maybe, there is a connections with Bhanu and eagles, because Sean wanted to go see her after the eagle experience. Either that, or eagles are just prevalent in that area.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

That's (Sean) fascinating. I say - yes, connection. Saying no would be dry, sapping. No thanks. I'd rather open out... bald eagles and all. Reading the world for the potent signification its full of. Now WHAT that connection is...

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

another small chapter in los dialecticas pobre