5.09.2005

an august may morn, juvenal

here is a fascinating indication of how surreal the narrative of Iraq has become, from this morning's NYTimes:
In the capital, the National Assembly approved six new cabinet ministers on Sunday, including the unwilling candidate, Hashim al-Shibli, who had been named human rights minister. But on a day when Prime Minister Ibrahim al-Jaafari had hoped to complete his cabinet and end the contentious political battles that delayed his government, the rejection was another embarrassment.
One day earlier, Dr. Jaafari had declared at an afternoon news conference that all six nominees had already been approved by President Jalal Talabani and his two vice presidents. But Mr. Shibli, in an
interview, said he did not formally learn that he had been picked until just before the confirmation vote on Sunday, leading him to believe that his selection was more symbolism than substance.
"I heard about it watching TV," he said. "No one talked to me or asked me about it before. This morning they called me and tried to congratulate me on my 'new job,' but I said no. I refused this because this is sectarianism, and I don't believe in sectarianism. I believe in democracy."
now this is a story (in what blogger calls "block quotes"), and i am cautious towards its verificity - this comes froma war zone. i don't know if Shibli's act is brave or heroic, but it brings those words up for me. he might well have been a target of assassination if he chose to accept this post. there is all that. and there is the fact that he learned of his "high-ranking" appointment - he claims - from television. the words that spring here is incompetent, farcical, gaffe, simulacra. it seems like diveristy in the Iraqi cabinet has all the grand promise and shallow reality of diversity in a Random House poetry anthology; "panem et circenses". But white bread, pre-sliced, American cheese. Its a patriotic act, really, hence the university positions, the easy flow of grants. A hard-working, industrious people (blogging at the day job).
Oh the heart hardens, too much mayo, lard-ass. Redemption (a miracle being that part of gravity we do not expect, or understand) can take the form of a question.
an old one:
My choices: Pierre Joris, Ammiel Alcalay, Anne Waldman. A nation needs a party, not the party? No caps? Wishful thinking (short-lived paradise of anarchist Barcelona cut 1939). I don't know. Have a wonderful morning, friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

another small chapter in los dialecticas pobre