5.31.2005

bussing it

who's willing to share future dreams in this field? the system - the institutional role of the writer - is tied up in publishing, and in teaching. so the professor on one hand, the writer on book tour on the other. neither one of these seem foregrounded in a community of desire (kinship?) where the writer actually chooses who s/he lives among. they can be, but they are pretty lonely, alienated models themselves - and these are for the writers who "make it". we go where the jobs are. some writers have the good sense to choose to enter into only such a professional situation where they feel comfortable/challenged, and hence can brew up (or walk into) a certain degree of intimacy among peers. others go where the opportunity or $ is, and its hard to argue with that given the alternative. but it makes for an awful lot of loners out there, lonely folk who know most others through professional, not intimate, relationships. and i would count the two years at naropa as negating that distinction between professional and intimate community - Naropa seems one out, where this fundamental division (or alienation) of work and life is not accepted. and even there the staff was rife with politics and tension, not sure how the intimacy (kinship) of going back 20-40 years helped or hindered this.

does that make any sense? here in SF we have a fragile but existent community of writers - several overlapping, largely independant ones really, and i am on the edge of one of those, with my amigos. perhaps i am crazy, but this community - and the internet helps, but i would never desire it to be the main/only tool - provides a bed or ground for my work, my writing, however tenuous (largely due to my (and others) holding back from this community). provides a social context.

that seems important. the way a conversation takes an inherently and consistently different direction than a monologue.

i brought all this up because - it is a dream of mine to have a semester length program (in either fall or spring or summer- maybe one in a diff. season each year) for college students aboard a bus - a travelling community of scholars and artists and students.

it would be for credit, associated with some school, both for admin support, credit, and possible practical assitance... maybe it could exist without this. but it should be for credit, so the students can use it to graduate. it would CERTAINLY be educational.

in my head of heads i always imagined there would be an ecologist, a historian, a poet, a phototgrapher, a mechanic, a cook, etc. could easily be a native american scholar, a critical theorist, a novelist, etc., the idea being a travelling caravan, moving across a specific and varied terrain (say the American SW, the Great Plains, the Pacific States, Mexico), w/ pre-arranged and of course spontaneous stops (buses do break down), w/ a slew of classes offfered on site, on site studies, a study of place in one sense.

a friend of mine took such a class in ecology at Geoge Washington in the 90s. they hiked and bused across the SW studying the land. My sense is that it would be four classes, and that it would be multi-disciplinary - ideally aimed though at writing, at writing this experience, these meetings.

its so hopelessly idealistic its delicious. i always have imagined doing this with friends. a community making venture. i value others often out of this radical sense of being alone. my body feels foreign today, mind too. i have the bends - 30 feet tall and billowing oddly in the wind. almost transparent, birds and heating ducts pass through me. what substance does my jelly hold?

seems another trap. lets rent buses, hjack some kids, make it happen. before gas prices render this an impossibility, oh, perhaps it already is.

(but just imagine getting PAID for this!) i would love to hear some of your writerly/teacherly/publisherly dreams. or your thoughts on mine.

13 Comments:

Blogger Mona said...

From a random reader...know that your thoughts have been read...keep up the writing and best of luck to you. Don't give up on your dreams!

4:52 PM  
Blogger Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

Yes. Ah, yes. I would take that course in a flash. How fun. Rock the Casbah Merry Pranksters style, with life literally moving around you.

It sounds like a great film too.

Isn't it amazing how once we feel like our reality is one way, something shifts our attention, and we see all the possibilities?

I have often felt narrowed in my career choices. Then someone challenges the way I see things - it might be my Pops, or my brother, a fellow write, or a piece of fiction - then I turn and see how I've seen one way, when there are infinite possibilities. That is what your 'bus course' represents for me, the ability to move beyond socio-political borders into a new sense of autonomy.

Maybe this is something we could do for a couple weeks. It could be filmed, blogged, etc, and there we are on the road for 2 weeks of intense talks, fun, and sangha.

It's a brilliant idea, Kyle. Only as brilliant as you are.

Much Admiration,

Pirooz

7:36 PM  
Blogger jwg said...

I want to talk abou this on my blog. was going to post here, but my dreams, my blog. love the idea. I want on the bus. Please Mr. Driver, give me a lift.

7:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dylan wants a double decker.

I myself have spent weeks on greyhounds & yet I will not let those bizarre experiences color the possibilities of this one. can we have an astronomer & a geologist? I'm in but what would I teach? maybe I would have to be a college student again. the other night I had a dream that I was 20 & that something was screwed up with my h.s. degree & I had to go back to being a senior again. strangely enough, I was in a bus during an explosion which sent it flying miles into the air until it crashed. it was terrible.

enough about my nightmares though. I am in the midst of career transition. not knowing what I would even like to do, but coming to see what I would be actually good at. if it were possible to create a community arts center, have classes, performances, literacy programs, this would be outstanding. collaborative classes of writing & visual art, movement & poetry...ah it really could be beautiful. think of how much fun it would be to go to work every day

9:57 PM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:38 AM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

Hey, yeah, thanks Melissa.

I must've talked to you about this at Naropa.

Think about the possibilities of the double decker. Sleeping area upstairs, party/class/social area downstairs. I always envisioned this as setting up readings and weekend workshops around the country, and hell, maybe Mexico and Canada too, so there would be continual income to support the trip as we go. Through schools, libraries, organizations, museums etc. And it would be even better, more fun and luxurious if we could find additional funding, like a grant or two. Maybe we can organize and each take a specific area to research this idea until we can make it happen. What about...

POETS' MAKE A WISH FOUNDATION:

Let's tackle this! And then Jim's! Or vice versa! Why don't we take each person's "daream" and one by one, make them realities! With our pooled minds and resources, I don't see why that's not a possiblitiy. \

Dylan

4:45 AM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

I talked about this idea at Naropa. Still sounds cool to me, but... am I the only one not interested in teaching?

I've been in school all my life, now I am learning how to LIVE. If I am to ever teach in the foggy ahead, I want to have more experience in and about the world, something more to offer my writing and students than academia. All the writers I know who never left the world of school damage their writing with a sheer lack of variety. Also, they are to a large degree, tame. They lack outside influence. They tend not to write anything too spicey and risk their positions.

As for myself, I'd rather work a series of odd jobs. Ones I don't give a damn about and can quit whenever I choose, to write write write.

We all have so much to learn (we always will I guess.) Right now, I'm learning how to balance my life between living the life itself, and trying to accomplish what I want with it. It's a tough balance, a question I'll go into more on my blog.

Am I wrong to only be interested in the work? Screw critcism etc. I just want to write and write the real stuff. I don't care about Picasso's criticism, I care about his work. That's where I'm focusing myself.

So "Yes." I'm in. I'm interested. But I think I'll take driver/resident writer/wild unruly character. Someone to be observed. I'm more than happy to take part in all the activities and help in all areas, discussions, etc. but I'd rather be free of the "teaching" title at this point in the game.

Dylan

4:48 AM  
Blogger Kyle said...

dylan, i love the idea of teaching, and i love its practice (okay - when it really happens: trying to teach is horribly frustrating, like trying to be a student is). as for criticism, i dont know - its a distinct approach to art, language, event. but i have affinities for both. i think we go in the directions we want to, and we can leave it at that. responsibility comes up at a certain point though, and if criticism and teaching can aid allies (as in the Ammiel Alcalay slagging and response this winter: http://www.americanthinker.com/articles.php?article_id=4299 ), make young minds more able, and elucidate the ignored or discarded, then bravo to them. i think of them as tools, as possible routes. where do you want to go?

11:32 AM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

Kyle,

Where do I want to go, physically? Everywhere. Eomtionally? Happiness. Where DON'T I want to go? Into babble. Into the intellectual circle-jerk. Away from authoritative da da-da-da.

I am not ANTI-criticism etc. I read it. I take what is of value to me and forget the rest. I'm just making a distinction between being a writer and a teacher. Sure, I could teach. I think about it sometimes. But it would only be an avenue for income that is somewhat related to my field. I don't think that's fair to the students. Because I know deep inside I'd only be doing it for a paycheck. The students deserve more. They want a writer to show them the way? Sure, I'd love to, but not under the arbitrary rules of an outside third-party governing body. I want an autonomous classroom, where the relationship between myself and the "students" can be completely natural and engaging. The bus could be a possibility, but there is a lot of time and space for the red-tape to strangle out the life. I'm trying to shape my life into a certain mold which I've somehow created for myself long ago, somewhere in the lost corners of my brain. I'm through with people telling me what to do. Unless we/I create another Black Mountain etc. I don't think I'll take the academic trail. I'd rather go about my life, just living and digging the moments, working, raising a family, enjoying friends and loved ones, and write write write. All I want, my dream if you will, is to be proud of the work I've done when I die. Critical status aside. As long as I'm happy with my own body of work, and feel it is legitimate and firmly standing, I could give a damn about the rest. It's all inside. Looking out from the prison behind all out eyes, we only have the isolation of our own world. I want to be proud of what I did for my world. That's all. That's how I see it (my future.)

5:52 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

dylan, i don't think anyone ever labelled you anti-criticism. and i sensed, if did not write, that your directionand motivation is different. is our potential edginess/defensiveness around this issue a part of our marginal status - i work w/ architects and they get to go to work and be architects, not nec. to do the designs they want, but they are given a place in their field, and paid for it. we have to make our own place - and, frankly, this whole independant self-sufficientAmerican small farme rof literature out in the wilds thing doesnt sit so well with me. I like people, I like community, i like talk. There is criticism which goes in a circle and there is criticism which shoots like an arrow. I trust my motivations, and my abilities. I have plenty to learn, and I have total respect for your not wanting to write the stuff, but I dont mind if I do.As for teaching - I desire it too, not for a paycheck, but for the interaction, for bringing creativity into the classroom.

anyway, i am a little surprised at how you took the rhetorical where do you want to go. i wanted to add but left off, what do you want to make. implicit in this is a sense of choice, and i may use the critical band saw and the classroom jig and you may not. i hope not all classroom settings take the piss out of people, and i am probably about as antithetic to persisting institutions as you are. its often best when they are like waves - coming and going. when a place like yale sticks around too long its "old and in the way". but birth and youth are chaotic too - suffering all round.

okay. i have a good sense where you stand. and, i'd guess vis versa.

6:26 PM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

Hey Kyle,

Don't mean to sound so edgy, but lately I have developed a bit of a chip with the fact that we, unlike the architects you work for, do NOT get a job with a paycheck somewhere waiting for us in our field, though we are just as qualified in our field as they in theirs. But it's not going to change. I'm an idealist--it sucks. I can't help it. I don't accept it. But what I want to say is, that's great, I'm not holding any grudges. I'm totally fine with others teaching. I'd even be quite interested in their experiences, but it's not for me at this time. Maybe later, we'll see. But not now. If you're sincere in your interest (and that's for you to decide) that's great! I say go for it! That's you following your path. I dig it! If I misunderstood your last question, it was only a simple misunderstanding. If you'd like to clarify, I'll be happy to answer.

8:46 PM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

PS: O wait, that was rhetorical...

D

8:48 PM  
Anonymous cheap fly tickets said...

Thanks for this share. I reached here by searching about travel and vacations. I like this blog so much because its so impressive and good. I will follow it in the future for sure.a

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

another small chapter in los dialecticas pobre