11.06.2005

Your Man On the Scene

Its on the streets: or near them.

Sara Larsen’s Doubly Circulatory, published by Melissa Benham’s new Artifact Press, with a fine (perfect, really) Stacy Dacheux watercolor cover, was picked up by Meliss & yours truly from a quiet, beat up and clean Daly City copy shop (cheap copies – ask Meliss for directions- I think I will be doing chaps there too) Friday night, about an hour before the three of us launched our month of readings with November’s Poetry+Pizza. (thanks, Glenn, Clyde).

Tip for readers: never let anyone put the amp directly behind you and the mic. Feedback and sonic disorientation anyone? Add high ceilings and an L shaped room, and all is damn near lost.

The reading was wonderful. Doubly Ciruclatory is wonderful. We celebrated it last night at Sara’s, throwing a wonderful (all is full of love this drizzled morn - until I read the latest on the Paris riots) evening-long soiree of song, drink and stage. For Doubly Circulatory, in addition to a short serial (“The Library”) and the longer eponymous work, contains “The Morning War” a short poet’s play that is performable, we proved that. Your werdenfield correspondant was in the thick of it, as “A,” marking my first return to the acting stage (well, the part of her hardowood floor by the bathroom door) in 9 years, unless I am forgetting some Naropan madness.

[The intrusion of art(ifice) into a social situation (an intimate party) is an absolute gift; spillage makes for messiness, and that damn water (wine? – actually, gin & tonic) got all over my pants – praise be for the undam-ed, “wild and scenic” creativity. And this designation outside of all federal, state, or local regulatory agencies. D.I.Y. You’re only young once: yin it up.]

The beautifully written and smartly made Doubly Circulatory is throwing down the gauntlet. It rawks, it rolls, sweet jesus, it swings low. And sails. When Ms. Larsen sezs she loves Shelley and studies with Diane di Prima, grrl ain’t kidding. This is poetry to trouble any remaining new school/old school definitions you might be hiding dry-cleaned and ready-to-wear in your deep dark closet:

what is this quintessence? sleep and sleep and sleep my
body is pyrotechnic – flies, wings of war, this machine makes
our presence a killer, man delights not me – no,
nor words from dreams, though through these poems i seem to say
so.


Sara’s work springs froma ground of ancient, yet interior landscape of dream and vision, samples resonances of specific earlier Englishes (Shelley, Shakespeare, Yeats), and fluently fuses both into the unsettling wi-fi word-worlds of 2005’s cyborg realities. Making a beast of uncanny alien beauty, an unlikely and utterly compelling creature whose aluminum feathers stir restless, wide awake, a soulful and nervy marvel.

[Sara and Meliss – I’m not writing these words just because I love yous – I am writing this post because I love yous though. Yeah?]

Doubly Circulatory is available for $6 plus postage from artifact109@yahoo.com, or by snail at 2921 Folsom St. Apt. B, SF CA 94110. With any luck, we’ll get Melissa on here to spell out that shipping for ya, so we can cut to the chase.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

Fantastic! I am ordering my copy today.

4:32 PM  
Blogger Pirooz M. Kalayeh said...

your so cute it's ridiculous.

yes, i put GOLDEN ASHTRAY, the comic book out. it's the story of my life in L.A. thus far, my imagination, walking the streets.

you can get it on www.lulu.com or amazon.

I would have paid those U2 prices to see that performance with Kyle.

Whatever happened to bands like Fugazi? 5 bucks. End of story.

But, yes, I love that you told him to do whatever, and then directed him. I do that all the time.

I am so proud of you, girl. Send me a pic of your book and a link, and I'll put it up on my site.

Best,

P.

1:02 PM  
Blogger the IMAGINATIVE ACTION REGIME said...

i can't wait to get a copy! yay!!!! wish i could have been there. know i've been thinking about you.

Stace

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

another small chapter in los dialecticas pobre