6.29.2005

head bitten off, or kissed

It was quite a rollercoaster reading folks responses to Monday's post.

Sarah (my wife) is locked out of our apartment today, so I don't have much time to wwrite before heading home. Today she forgot her keys and I forgot my wallet.

And yes, this is the second time I have forgotten that of late, although she has only forgotten her keys this one time.

In lieu of a meaty post, I recommend Silliman's Tuesday post, on the role of relaxation and aging in writing. Juicy and refreshing, Mr. Silliman.

That rollercoaster, though...

It was definitely a personal, or intimate musing, but it wasn't meant to be a wailing confession. I re-read it, and I still don't see too much of that. Just for the record, it wasn't a headbanging, I dont feel I was or currently am doing much self-hatred and flagellation round a) money, b) being depressed, or even (of late) c) writing and poetry, but I think its healthy to put out and name whatever you are feeling, rather than silence it and make it some unspeakable secret. I was surrpised to get advice after that post, if anything, it was quite absorbing to write it. Luckily I wasn't depressed actually, I have found depression makes it hard to receive,let alone consider, advice, and if the advice is (and you know who you are) "stop whining and get over it" the depressed person is incredibably likely to a) feel distant from that person, and b) beat themself up for that distance, all the while c) becoming more depressed and d) not being able to meaningfully address what is happening to i) themself or ii) the advisor.

In case that misses ya, I gotta say, thats the worst possible advice. Anyway, note the distance. I do think it is curious that depression is STILL so unspoken (and prevalent) in our culture, and I am astounded at the depth and variety of responses and, really, testimonies Monday's entry elicited. Rock on, bloggers! We do this work together.

PS - I have had several songs from the adolescents s/t 81 LP, the one that's turquoise w/ red piping, running through my head today. Fuck do I need a copy of that again. Please realize that if in a fit of intense and misguided (but poignant) 22 yr old spiritual ardor, you give away your record collection before entering a monastery, this will inevitably and repeatedly come back to bite you in the ass. Its just good sense.

Now to go rescue my missus.

7 Comments:

Blogger Dylan Hock said...

What is this, "you know who you are" business. Is it me? I'm the only one shoving advice, I think, in that post... But that advice (except for the "PS:") was a general you, not a personal you.

Anyway, if it IS me, I don't really care if some folks fall by the wayside in the course of my life. I don't intend to stay in touch with everyone I've ever met, nor do I care how they feel about me. But I do want to keep in touch with a select handful. The ones I feel close to. The ones I'm fascinated by, etc. The people in these blog dialogues are some of them. Love to you all.

Dylan

Dylan

7:37 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

ha-hah! captain says this was the matie, all-right! dylan, i have given so much advice in my life that you could feed the hungry children of zambia, zimbabwe, and zanzibar with it.

perhaps my obectionw as more pointed/general, to the long stream of advice i have gotten over the years about what to do with "my problem". what problem?
oh yes...

10:14 AM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

Hey Kyle,

For the record (and this is all light-hearted. I hate that the written word can mistranslate simply through lack of voice inflection, but it is all light-hearted) I never thought you had a problem. I've never really known you to be depressed at all. Anyway, I didn't mean to come off sounding callus (though I admit I have trouble dealing with depressed people). I was talking more about someone being depressed over an issue, rather than someone who suffers from depression as an illness. Hug hug.

Anyway, since I'm writing you, I might as well tell you 21st Century said Rory definitely had the job if Treasure Island wasn't closing, and it's not, but it is consolidating so, yes, Rory's position was swiped out from under her. We're going to have to wait one more year. But (chins up) we've decidede Rory will take classes again this year and we'll save her financial aid loan surplus each semester for a nestegg and move no matter what next July. Thanks for all the help. It will still come in very handy when we get things in place for next summer. Love to you. I always have my mind with you guys out there, and LA, and wherever Pirooz is, Korea, etc. Any readings etc. I'm there, in a way. I'm definitely thinking about it. Anyway, just want folks to know that even though I'm cut off for the moment from seeing pretty much everyone, I'm still alive, active, and supporting from a distance. Any help I can give in aiding anyone with anything, let me know: killcolumbus@hotmail.com. This is absolutely sincere. Much love to you Kyle, and everyone else.

Dylan

10:42 AM  
Blogger jwg said...

Thought it was me. Damn North Korea and their mind games

4:14 PM  
Blogger Kyle said...

for the record, its forgiveness all round. JWG, you were #2, you would have had the prize, but then dylan came roaring out of the gates.

10:02 AM  
Blogger jwg said...

will try harder next time

3:58 AM  
Blogger Dylan Hock said...

Looks like I've got you this time jwg!

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

another small chapter in los dialecticas pobre